AirPort Express offers the facility of dual-band wireless 802.11n Wi-Fi networking on a simultaneous basis for each of the wireless devices, such as Windows and Mac computers along with iOS devices, including iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and iPod touch. Once completed the setup process of the AirPort Express Base Station, it would generate two high-speed Wi-Fi networks:
- A 2.4 gigahertz (GHz) network targeted for 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n devices, including iPod touch, iPhone, and former computers.
- A 5 GHz network targeted for 802.11n and 802.11a devices.
Your wireless devices are free to connect to the network, providing the optimum performance and perfect compatibility. You can easily make use of the AirPort Express device for sharing a particular internet connection with each and every wireless device on the respective network. It is also possible to share a network printer and make a connection with other devices. Another worth noting point is that the AirPort Express device has come with AirPlay. It’s a simple way to play an iTunes music via a home stereo or your remote speakers.
AirPort Express Ports:
The AirPort Express device features five ports on its backside:
10/100Base: T Ethernet WAN (Wide Area Network) port is used for connecting a cable modem or DSL. And it is also used for making a connection to an existing Ethernet network.
10/100Base: T Ethernet LAN (Local Area Network) port is used for connecting different Ethernet devices, including computers or printers. And you can also use it for making a connection to an existing Ethernet network.
|USB Port: This particular port is used to connect a USB printer.|
Apart from the above ports, analog and optical digital audio stereo mini-jack are used for connecting the AirPort Express device to powered or stereo speakers.
|The power port is also there for making a connection of AirPort Express and an AC power source.|
You’ll find a reset button next to the ports and used for troubleshooting the AirPort Express device. The respective status light on the front part of AirPort Express will display its present status. Before plugging in the AirPort Express device, you have to first connect the respective cables to those ports, you prefer to use, such as:
- An Ethernet cable for connecting your cable modem or DSL to the Wide Area Network (WAN) port in case you want to connect to the Internet
- An audio cable for connecting the stereo to the respective audio out port in case you would make use of AirPlay for playing music from the iTunes library
- An Ethernet cable or USB for connecting your printer to the Ethernet or USB port in case you will print to it by making use of the AirPort Express device
Once connected the cables for each and every device you want to use, you need to plug the power cord of your AirPort Express device into the power port as well as a power outlet.
No ON/OFF switch is there. Whenever plugging the power cord of your AirPort Express device into a power outlet, the status light will start glowing amber throughout the startup process. And then it will start flashing amber in times of the setup process. The particular status light will glow green after completion of the setup process of the AirPort Express device and making the connection to a network or Internet.
AirPort Express Status Lights
It’s time to describe the sequences of status light along with the indication of your AirPort Express device:
|Light : Status/Description|
|Off : It indicates your AirPort Express device is unplugged.|
|Solid Green : The indication is that the AirPort Express device is on and working perfectly.|
|Flashing Amber : It indicates that the AirPort Express device has not been set up or it is unable to build a connection to the Internet or network. Make use of AirPort Utility for discovering the cause.|
|Solid Amber : It indicates that AirPort Express has been started up.|
|Flashing amber and green: The indication is that there might be an issue in starting up the particular device. The AirPort Express will restart and then you can try again.|
How To Setup, Reset and Update AirPort Express?
You have to make use of AirPort Utility on the respective computer system or Wi-Fi settings on the particular iOS device to execute one of the following:
- You need to set up your AirPort Express device for creating a new network that can be used by wireless devices and computers for connecting the Internet.
- Next, you have to set up the particular AirPort Express device to connect an existing network.
- In case the network has been connected to the Internet, each of the wireless devices and computer systems on the respective AirPort network can make use of the Internet connection.
- If the network has been set up to be extended, the AirPort Express device is able to extend the network range.
- You can easily perform all of the basic setup and configuration process of the network with the help of the setup assistant in AirPort Utility on a Windows or Mac computer or with the particular Wi-Fi settings on your iOS device.
For setting up the AirPort Express device by using a Mac, the system requirements are as follows: A Mac computer with the installation of an AirPort card is required if you want to set up it wirelessly. Alternatively, you will need a Mac computer that has been connected to the AirPort Express device with the help of an Ethernet cable for setting it up by using Ethernet. You will also need Mac OS X v10.5.7 or later version. AirPort Utility v5.6.1 or later version and you need to use Software Update for having the latest version of AirPort Utility.
And to set up AirPort Express by using a Windows PC, you will need:
- A Windows computer system with a 300 MHz or higher processor along with Wi-Fi certified wireless capability if you want to set it up wirelessly
- Alternatively, you need a Windows computer that has been connected to the AirPort Express device with the help of an Ethernet cable, if you want to set it up by using Ethernet.
How to use AirPort Express for Streaming Music?
If you want to make a connection of the AirPort Express device and powered or stereo speakers, you can make use of AirPlay for playing music from iTunes on any computer system or from any of your iOS devices on the respective network.
For its setting, you need to execute the following steps:
- First, you have to connect the Audio Out port on the particular AirPort Express device to the powered or stereo speakers.
- You have to use a digital fiber optic cable, an analog mini-stereo-to-dual-RCA cable, alternatively, you can use a ministereo to mini-stereo cable. It will depend on the type of connectors that your stereo is using.
A worth noting point in this regard is that you can’t make use of USB speakers with the AirPort Express device. You can make use of powered speakers with your stereo mini-jack connector. To connect the wireless network, you need to execute the following steps:
- On your Mac device, you have to make use of the AirPort status menu in the respective menu bar.
- On your Windows computer, you have to hold the particular pointer over the respective wireless connection icon as long as you find your AirPort network name or SSID. And then select it from the particular list in case there are several networks available.
- Now, you need to enter the network password correctly in case it’s necessary.
- On an iOS device, you have to select the network to which you prefer to join from the particular list of networks within Wi-Fi settings.
- In this step, you ought to make use of AirPlay for streaming music to the respective speakers or stereo:
On your Windows or Mac computer, you need to open iTunes and then select the respective AirPort Express device from the AirPlay pop-up menu. Next, on your iOS device, you have to select the AirPort Express that you want to use from the particular AirPlay pop-up menu.
Tips and Troubleshooting
You can easily and quickly solve most of the problems with the AirPort Express device by following some basic advice.
Best Locations for Your AirPort Express Device
- The following tips will help you to acquire the best network coverage and range for your AirPort Express device:
- Keep your AirPort Express device in an open location without any heavy obstructions, including walls or furniture pieces. And you have to also place this device away from metallic surfaces.
- Don’t place the AirPort Express device inside cabinets or behind furniture. And avoid placing it regions that are surrounded by metal surfaces on its three or more sides.
- If you place the AirPort Express device in an entertainment center along with your stereo equipment, never surround this particular device with video, audio or power cables.
- For more information about the best location of the AirPort Express device, you can contact the respective customer care team.
And you can discover more support information regarding the utilization of AirPort Express on the web.